- Parent Visa (subclass 103)- processing time up to 12-30 years. In the 2017–18 Migration Programme year, 1 500 places have been allocated to Parent (non-contributory) visas (subclasses 103 and 804)
- Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 143) - processing time around 33-35 months.
- Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173) - if you are granted this visa and want to stay in Australia permanently, you can then apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).
- Aged Parent visa (subclass 804), applying in Australia. There can be long waiting times of up to 30 years for this visa.
- Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864), applying in Australia and you must be old enough to receive the Australia aged pension.
- Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884), applying in Australia and you must be old enough to receive the Australia aged pension. This visa lets you live in Australia for up to two years and apply for the subclass 864 visa.
- have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- the sponsor must be 18 years of age or over and has lived in Australia lawfully for at least two years before the parent lodges their visa application
- meet health requirement and character requirement
- all applicants for a parent visa must meet the balance of family test i.e. they must have at least half of the their children residing in Australia as permanent residents or citizens.
- be able to obtain an assurance of support
- You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia (don’t agree)
It lets you:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
- enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- You will not automatically receive the age pension or social security payments in Australia. You will have to wait:
- two years for most social security payments
- ten years for age and disability pension payments
Legal Insights and Opinions
If the sponsor is unable to meet the living conditions or the applicant couldn’t meet the health requirements, please consult with Global’s Australian immigration lawyer.