Migrant with permanent residence
To become an Australian citizen you need to meet certain requirements. For most applicants these include that you:
- are a permanent resident at time of application and time of decision
- meet the residence requirements
- have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
- must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.
- are of good character
- have a basic knowledge of the English language
- intend to reside or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia
- have an adequate knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship by passing the citizenship test.
If you are 60 years of age or over you are not required to sit the citizenship test.