Visitor visa (subclass 600)
This visa is for people travelling to Australia:
- As a tourist
- For business visitor activities
- To visit family
- On tour with a registered travel agent from the People’s Republic of China
The visa allows you to visit Australia for a period as determined by the Minister.
This visa does not allow you to work in Australia, but you can study for up to three months.
This visa has four streams:
- Tourist Stream
- Business Visitor Stream
- Sponsored Family Stream
- Approved Destination Status Stream
You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. It is recommended that you take out health insurance each time you travel to Australia. Health insurance will be requested for applicants who are aged 75 years or older, or who are parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents and wishing to obtain a long validity visa.
You may be required to undergo a health examination as part of the visa application process. If you are aged 75 years or older and applying for a Visitor visa (subclass 600), you are required to undergo a medical examination.
You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. Evidence of sufficient funds such as personal bank statements, pay slips, audited accounts, taxation records or credit card limit may be acceptable documents.
Legal Insights and Opinions
- Travellers holding a Visitor visa (Subclass 600) cannot work while they are in Australia.
- Visitor visas can allow single or multiple entry – and permit a three (3), six (6) or twelve (12) month stay in Australia on each occasion.
- Applicants are able to indicate their preferred number of entries and stay period, however the decision maker will determine which is appropriate, taking into account an applicant’s personal circumstances.
- A 3 month stay meets the requirements of most Visitors to Australia. Granting a longer stay may be considered in certain circumstances, for example: for the parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents who have applied for permanent migration to Australia, but have not yet been granted permanent residency.
- Applicants need to satisfy decision makers that they intend to stay in Australia for the purpose for which the visa is granted.
- Visitor visas are designed for people whose intention is to visit Australia for short periods. They cannot generally be used for staying in Australia longer than 12 months and cannot be used to establish ongoing residence in Australia.